Christians Have Questions

We are a community who believe that's a good thing. What's your question?
Posted By What the God
http://whatthegod.blogspot.com/2010/04/umtongues.html

What's the deal with tongues? In this article, Jesse Medina recounts his experience in an Assemblies of God church with a high value on speaking in tongues. But what about the weirdness? Can we throw tongues out altogether? Read and Interact

Posted By Jesse Medina on/at 9:07 AM

Howdy friends,

As you may have noticed, we haven't updated with an article around here in quite some time.  Too long, really.  And, after this post, we're not going to be updating this blog anymore.  It will fade into oblivion just like the thousands of other blogs that have started ambitiously and come to a whole lot of nothing.  I wanted to explain why.

I didn't start this thing for the right reasons.

That's a hard thing for me to admit.  But in hindsight, after asking myself why it was so hard to discipline myself to write, the answer I keep coming to is that I'm not actually passionate about this blog.  I wanted to be passionate about it...but only because I saw the blog as a means to an end.  And the end I had in mind was fame and influence in the world of Christian bloggers.  I wanted to be the next Jon Acuff or Matthew Paul Turner.  I speak only for myself on that matter, but as the initiator of this thing and the only "current" writer remaining, my coming to terms with that means there's no one left to keep the blog running for better reasons.

I'm not actually a very funny writer

I do think myself a funny person, but satire writing doesn't come easy for me.  Whether you felt the humor in my blogs was forced or not, it was for me.  And that meant that writing wasn't actually enjoyable.  Throw on top of that my aforementioned motivation behind writing and it just became a duty.

Those things said, I'm sorry.  My intent wasn't to drag anybody along and form a sort of online relationship only to have it come to nothing.  I sincerely thank those who took an interest in what was written here and, perhaps, even came closer to God as a result.

Goodbye What the God.  It was a nice little run.

Lessons Learned:

1. Be honest with yourself.  You actually cannot fool yourself for very long.
2. Don't do anything because you want to be famous or influential.  Do it for some other (better) reason.
3. When you fail, admit it.

Posted in
Comments